[scribus] The first Malayalam publication prepared with Scribus

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Thu Jul 25 16:38:59 UTC 2013

Le 25/07/2013 13:07, DAKF a écrit :
> On 25 July 2013 16:05, JLuc <jluc at no-log.org> wrote:
>> Le 14/07/2013 19:18, Anilkumar KV a écrit :
>>   The Scribus with indic support is slowily moving for production stage.
>> Do you have a plan for the future or an idea of the next steps ?
> There are few things to do.
>     - Earlier a.l.e asked me to submit patch in small pieces instead of big
>     one. This is yet to be done.
>     - The Harfbuzz used is now internal. External harfbuzz support yet to be
>     done.
So i understand (ale helped me) that you mean harbuzz is patched.

>     - There are still dependency with ICU library at few places. This has to
>     be removed.
>     - Till few months back I have sychronised the indic branch with that of
>     master branch. However, it is not synchronised with latest change. I could
>     not push few latest changes in my local copy to indic branch, as I failed
>     to do it with my authentication. If it is set ok, I shall update it.

For such  issues as GIT authentication, you should ask malex
on irc or on scribus dev list.

> More publications in Malayalam expressed their idea of migrating to
> Scribus.
> I have further plan to add an editorial work-flow plug-in based on
> PostgreSQL, as a separate project.

You mean : creating layouts with scribus out of texts coming from a postgreSQL database ?
That would be really great ! And not only for Malayalam publications !

For broader use, it would be good to have an abstraction SQL layer,
so as to deal with mySQL database too...

I sometime imagine a program that would read googledocs or (FOSS) etherpad docs
or some other CMS texts and create a SLA out of them.
For googledocs it would require access through http,
but for one's own etherpad or CMS, access would be possible through its database.

> The version in Indic branch of scribus git is used. There are few more
> changes done in my local copy.
>> Can we test and use this version with latin alphabets ?
> Sure. There are English content in the publication. Please go through it.

Ok !
I have compiled the indic branch of the git repo and when running the file,
i run across an error. After the terminal displaying :
	ScripterImpl object created
	PreferencesAPI loaded
	DialogsAPI loaded
	Pythonize constructor -- pid = 25330

it displayed the error message :

scribusindic: symbol lookup error: /home/jluc/bin/scribusindic/lib/scribus/plugins//libscripter.so: undefined symbol:
Py_IsInitialized

Same with scripter2 enabled or not in the compile options.
I usually compile other git branches, like unitLoader recently.
You have an idea on how to fix this issue ?

JLuc