[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 64, Issue 11

Ryan W ryandw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 15:23:53 UTC 2013

On 10/07/13 10:06 PM, Ryan W wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm getting started with a book project that will be about 75 pages.  The
> > book will be all text, no images.  For starters, I would like to set up a
> > document where every page has a text box that fills the entire page
> > (excluding margins) and each page's text box links to the next page's
> text
> > box.
> >
> > Is there some way I can do this automatically, or do I have to go through
> > all 75 pages and create a text box for each page, and then manually link
> > all the text boxes together?
> >

> Hi Ryan
>
> You can use the "Automatic Text Frame" option on creation of the document,
> or you can use the
> Insert->Frame menu option to create those frames, set sizes, linking etc
> for you. The difference
> between the two options is that the second option doesn't auto add frames
> when you create pages, and
> is therefore less limiting if your document is developing over time.
>
> Craig

Thanks Craig.  What if I change my mind about the margins after I've been
working on a project for a while?  It's easy to adjust the margins in the
master pages.  However, the automatic text frames don't respond to such
changes after a document is created.  I wonder if there is some way to
permanently link the automatic text frames to the pages so that changes to
master page margins will also affect the automatic text frames.

In other words, is there a way to keep the text frames automatic, or do
they necessarily stop being automatic once you begin work on a project?

If there is no way to permanently link text frames to master page margins,
then one has to be very careful (and perhaps clairvoyant, depending on the
nature of the project) when deciding on margins at the outset of a
project.

Of course, it's possible to go through and manually adjust the text frames
for each page, but that's quite tedious and time-consuming.

-Ryan