[scribus] guides can be printed?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Jul 8 13:47:33 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 07:43 AM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 07/08/2013 07:40 AM, ZASKE Martin wrote:
>> Hi again to the list,
>>
>> we are using several installations of Scribus 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 in our office.
>>
>> Now for training and for creating internal documentation (style-sheets
>> for our team) we came across this question:
>>
>> How can we print the "guides" (English) or "reperes" (French), please?
>>
>> I tried several tricks and looked at document and printing options and
>> could not do it, apart from creating manual dotted lines...
>>

>> In Corel Draw such guided are managed by way of their layer-structure.
>> So I can easily select to show/not-show and print/not-print them all
>> together. (Not meant as criticism, just input about a feature I have
>> used for years.)
>>
>> Obviously Scribus does have its own way of showing and managing the
>> guides, so please help if you have an idea. I believe that those guides
>> would be useful in print whenever there is training or documentation
>> involved, this could be useful to other users too.
>>
>> I tried looking into the xml document structure: Could I use the
>> VerticalGuides information to create "normal" vertical lines (which
>> would print)? I did some testing, but it seems that guides and lines are
>> using different units in the xml so creating lines (by text-macro or
>> something) feels like not-trivial.
>>

> Maybe you could try printing screenshots.

More complex ideas:

Manual method:
Make a horizontal line and vertical line the width and height of the
page. Set its properties as you wish (you seem to need about 0.5 pt
thickness to show up reasonably well). Save each to Scrapbook. Set Page
> Snap to Guides.
Drag from Scrapbook to left edge of page for horizontal line, close to
but not on top of the guide of interest (the mouse cursor shows where
the left end of the line will be). Now slide toward the guide and line
will snap to it. Once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty fast.
If you do this on a Master Page it can show up on all pages, and can be
switched off by switching the Master Page.

More elegant:
Make a script that first gets all the guides positions, then use
createLine for each, afterward setting line properties as you wish.
Again, if you do this on a Master Page it can be on every page as desired.

Greg