[scribus] My own small winter revolution...

AL newsletters at alexandreleray.com
Fri Jan 18 10:50:46 UTC 2013

Thanks Gregory for your kind words,

On 12/01/2013 19:55, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> You are not alone with these sentiments. Scribus has gotten big enough
> and complex enough that overall management is a challenge. Some changes
> which have occurred are not obvious -- there has been a major
> rearrangement of the various source modules to some more sensible
> divisions. For the job that Scribus does, there are not a large number
> of coders working on it, so this is something of an issue.
> There are some things coming in 1.5/1.6 which should be notable
> enhancements, like footnotes/endnotes, automatic creation of bulleted
> and numbered lists, and I think these will be welcome. We need
> additional advanced typographic features, for greater ease and
> flexibilty with microtypography.
>
> At the same time, the Properties palette is on the verge of being
> unusable, or seriously getting in the way as much as it helps. The Text
> tab in 1.5svn might be literally unusable in some circumstances. A major
> redesign is in the works, but the timetable unknown.
>
> There are bugs and there are bugs. Some of the most important ones are
> feature requests from people like you, Alex, and we need these to keep
> coming.
>
> Greg

I was very glad to read Ale's email because I share his feelings, and to
be honest I was disappointed to see the discussion turning into a debate
on how to link an RSS feed when there was so much to say...

For me the main problem of Scribus is that it's development is too much
disconnected from the practice of graphic design, be it actual or
imaginary. Software is not only functional but tools to think with, so
can we imagine a development model that involves more the practitioners,
not only on the bug/feature requests level, but on the vision of the
project?

With all the intelligence gathered here on this list and in the FLOSS
community I'm sure we can find ways to go past the developer/end-user model.

Alex