[scribus] Japanese/Chinese Characters

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Fri Feb 8 22:46:05 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 5:51 PM, nbeadle <nbeadle at iconnectivity.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> New here so just trying to figure this out. I'm creating a product box and
> need to have a few languages on the back, one of them being Japanese. A
> business partner did the translation for us and sent a Word document with
> the translation, which shows up fine. I copied and pasted the text into the
> Story Editor and shows up exactly as it should. Updating the text frame
> however replaces all the Japanese characters with red squares.
>
> I've spent a lot of time Google searching and some pages come up with the
> same issue I have but without a solution (or at least not one I could see).
> One of them mentioned about having a Japanese font, but since I'm seeing
> the characters fine in many other programs I'd assume that I do.
>
> Any help in figuring this out would be MUCH appreciated as I've got a
> deadline pressing up towards me and I'm afraid I'm going to have to rebuild
> the whole file in InDesign or something.
>
> Nick

i'd guess the font that Word used to render the Japanese characters is not
available to Scribus. (i.e., Scribus is unaware of where the font resides
on your file system.)  You can locate the font used by Word and tell
Scribus where it is located and Scribus will use it.  Unless, of course,
you have designated a different font in your Scribus document.  I just
encountered a similar thing when my primary hard drive crashed, and I
reinstalled the Fontin case.  But, the new type case apparently did not
have certain characters (I suppose they are called glyphs) in it and
unchanged pages would not render correctly when the re-installation was
done.  I saw a few red squares in pages that I had not changed in two
years.  So, JLuc is likely correct.  The font you are asking Scribus to use
to display your Japanese text does not have the proper Japanese characters
or glyphs so Scribus inserts a red box.

John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
Walkertown, NC  USA