[scribus] Latest in Xubuntu 13.10 is 1.4.2

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 12 01:37:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:47:41 +0100
"Staffan Melin (Oscillator)" <staffan.melin at oscillator.se> dijo:

>If you look at the lines in the Wiki
>(http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Building_SVN_versions_with_CMake) and
>try those (modified for 1.4.3):
>
>mkdir ~/src/
>mkdir ~/src/scribus_svn
>sudo mkdir /usr/local/scribus_svn
>cd ~/src/scribus_svn
>svn co svn://scribus.net/branches/Version14x/Scribus
>cd ./Scribus
>mkdir build
>cd build
>cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus_svn ..
>make
>sudo make install
>
>Do they work? It also seems like the folder which the INSTALL_PREFIX
>points to must be created beforehand (which John's script doesn't do,
>but the one in the Wiki does).
>
>Also note what you have to do as SU and not.

I ran the script on the above page, running it one line at a time from
the command line. It went well until:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus_svn ..

Which ended in:

It didn't list the errors, unless they are buried in the previous page
after page of output. Since there were errors I stopped there.

Since apparently it is impossible to compile the latest 1.4x I went
back to trying to find a package for 1.4.3. I have 1.4.3 installed on
my old Xubuntu 12.04, done via Synaptic after adding the PPA
repository. I added the same PPA to my new Xubuntu 13.10 computer,
first with "precise main" exactly as it was on the old computer, and
then with "saucy main," (reloading after each change), but no matter
which I use the only version of Scribus that appears is 1.4.2.

I also searched all over the net looking for a Linux package for 1.4.3,
but came up empty-handed.

Does anyone know of a distro that has 1.4.3 in its repos? Maybe I could
sneak into their repository late at night and purloin the package.