[scribus] Requirements for precompiled Scribus downloads.

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Wed Dec 11 05:55:25 UTC 2013

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 10. Dezember 2013 um 10:18 Uhr
> Von: "john Culleton" <John at wexfordpress.com>
> An: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Betreff: [scribus] Requirements for precompiled Scribus downloads.
>
> I already have the requirements for Scribus on my
> Slackware Linux partition. But for those that
> download a precompiled stable version I have the
> following questions:
>
> For Windows users:
> 1. Do they need to install Ghostscript before
> downloading and installing Scribus?
> 2. Do they need to install ImageMagick before
> downoading and installing Scribus?
>
> For Linux users (various flavors):
> 1. do they need to have Ghostscript installed
> first?
> 2. Do they need to install ImageMagick first?
>
> For all users:
> What Scribus functionality is lost if ImageMagick
> is omitted? The reason I ask is that I don't have
> ImageMagick included in my (in)famous svn script.
>
> I know about Gimp already :<)

Hi John,

You don't need ImageMagick at all for anything Scribus-related. What you might need or want is GraphicsMagick instead, which will enable the import of almost all image formats supported by GM (http://www.graphicsmagick.org/formats.html), the exception being, for obvious reasons, video files and file formats for which a native Scribus import filter already exists.

To compile Scribus 1.5.x with GM you have to install:

- GraphicsMagick
- GraphicsMagick-devel
- libGraphicsMagick++-devel
- libGraphicsMagick3
- libGraphicsMagick++3

You also need to tell CMake that you want to build with GM support by adding -DWANT_GRAPHICSMAGICK=1 to your configuring command.

Other optional components:

* OpenSceneGraph, which will enable the import of 3D files, as well as export of 3D PDFs. You need OSG, OSG plug-ins, libopenscengraph, and libopenscengraph-devel. OSG will be detected automatically by CMake.

* If you download, compile and install version 0.0.6 of libmspub (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/libmspub), Scribus will be built with an import filter for MS Publisher files. To compile libmspub you also need libwpd and libwpg, as well as the respective devel packages. Like OSG, libmspub will be detected automatically, provided you did run ldconfig after installing libmspub. To make sure that CMake detects libmspub you need to remove CMakeCache.txt in your Scribus source directory every time before running CMake again, i.e., after a svn update.

Ghostscript and another support program, UniConvertor, need not be installed during compile time and can be added afterwards. UniConvertor will enable importing additional vector formats, especially CorelDraw up to version X3.

I'm currently rewriting the Wiki article and will upload the new version with a list of all dependencies and options as soon as it's finished.

HTH,

Christoph