[scribus] embedding fonts in pdf fails with Windows 8

Jean Ghali jghali at libertysurf.fr
Wed Dec 4 08:02:01 UTC 2013

Le 03/12/2013 16:04, Andreas Winkler a écrit :
> Hi Chrisoph,
>
> thanks for your answer. I'm aware of the limitation that huge modern
> TTF and OTF fonts can not be embedded.
> However, in Windows 8 certain fonts (e.g. Arial) can't be embedded at
> all even if 'Subset' is unchecked. They will always be converted to
> outlines even though they appear in the 'Fonts to embed:' field in the
> 'Fonts' tab of the pdf export settings.
> The very same fonts can be embedded when using Scribus 1.4.3 on
> Windows 7. So I suspect this to be an issue of Scribus in combination
> with Windows 8.

Hi,

I had a look at this issue last night. Some fonts including Arial have been updated on
Windows 8 and do not contain a glyph name table anymore. This is what triggers the
conversion to outlines. Fyi the compatibility with PostScript devices of TTF fonts without
glyph name table is not guaranteed.

Jean