[scribus] Trouble importing csv files

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Fri Apr 19 16:14:10 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM, John Ghormley KJ4UFG <kj4ufg at sera.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>wrote:
>
>> On 04/18/2013 07:58 PM, John Ghormley KJ4UFG wrote:
>>
>>> When trying to get a csv file into a text frame using the method, right
>>> click in the frame and select Get Text, then selecting the proper .csv
>>> file, using the Comma Separated Value Files importer and the System
>>> encoding and not selecting the Import Text Only box, my file was imported
>>> correctly with the exception of a tabulator at the very beginning of each
>>> line.  There are six fields in each row of the spreadsheet.  I have
>>> looked
>>> at the sheet with a text editor and no comma or tab character exist at
>>> the
>>> beginning of the line.  I have saved the file from the text editor
>>> (Bluefish) which should remove any spaces at the end of line and insure a
>>> valid EOL character is there.  However, the first character of each line
>>> is
>>> indented to the first tabulator setting, throwing off the entire column
>>> format.
>>>
>>> Each line should be at the left side of the text box as shown below and
>>> the
>>> other data fields in the listing should be tabbed to form columns down
>>> the
>>> page.
>>>
>>> Here are a few lines from the .csv file:
>>>
>>> ,,,,,
>>> GEORGIA,,,,,
>>> 10 Meters,,,,,
>>> N4BZJ,29.68,+,Dalton,141.3,☺
>>> KQ4XL,29.62,+,Monroe,0,☺
>>> WR4MG,29.66,+,Warner Robins,0,☺
>>> ,,,,,
>>>
>>> Any ideas what to look for or how to fix the problem using Scribus?  I
>>> cannot figure out how to remove the space at each line beginning short of
>>> deleting the space on each of the 3300+ lines.
>>>

>>>  What I have found is that you have to have what we might call a "dummy"
>> tab at the beginning of your tabulator settings. I don't know why, but when
>> I have put that extra one in there, everything comes out all right.
>>
>> I'm currently using Scribus with csv files to keep track of my patients,
>> and make lists for various purposes, so I use Scribus with csv import every
>> day (multiple times a day). I have even made a script that loads the files
>> into the pre-formatted document with styles with tabs already created. A
>> great timesaver.
>>
>> I would also add that you don't need these empty fields and commas at the
>> end (,,,,).
>>
>> Greg
>>

> Thanks, Greg.
>
> I'll work with a dummy tab at the beginning of each line.  Since I did not
> expand the cells in LO Calc, I got the multiple commas on blank lines and
> short title lines.  I just figured I'd delete them since there were not so
> many and I have to replace the titles with some title boxes, anyway.  It
> will be interesting to see how the first character comma works out.
>

> John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
> Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
> Walkertown, NC  USA
> editor at sera.org

Unless I misunderstood your instructions, Greg, this is not  working for
me.  Each of the lines in the entire file is imported tabbed to the first
marked tabulator.  No other application I know has this property.  Am I
doing something to cause this, or is there a setting that typically causes
this behaviour in 1.4.2 on Linux?

editor at sera.org