[scribus] reading pub and idd files

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Apr 19 07:43:56 UTC 2013

> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 18. April 2013 um 13:31 Uhr
> Von: "Alexandre Prokoudine" <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com>
> Betreff: Re: [scribus] reading pub and idd files
>
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Czarek wrote:
>
> > 2. I don`t think it is possible to write perfect importer for any big layout
> > with proof of exact copy (for example: see how CorelDraw imports complicated
> > files from Illustrator, see how complicated Corel files are imported to any
> > other program with CDR import)
>
> I'm afraid that you don't get it.
>
> See, Corel eventually lost its ability to open its own files from
> early versions. For that past 10 years or so it supports only v5+
> files. All the artwork you did in the past is gone unless you dig for
> installers on arcane websites.
>
> Or think about Macromedia FreeHand. There's no such a product anymore.
> Can you guarantee that installer will always be available to save old
> files?
>
> This is about supporting legacy. Why you are trying to dumb it down to
> "importing is for idiots" is beyond my comprehension.

I'm afraid to note that you are changing the subject in this thread (at least partially). a.l.e. wants an up-to-date file exchange with the latest ID CS* version, not any legacy version. I fully support your intention, though, namely enabling support of legacy formats (which Scribus already does in some cases, btw., and which has been ridiculed by a.l.e. repeatedly in IRC).

IMHO, the requirements of legacy file format support and support for current file formats need to be balanced, and adjusted to RE and programming capacities.

Christoph