[scribus] Creating multi- page magazine

Erich Dollansky erich.lists at ovitrap.com
Mon Oct 8 01:56:46 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 19:51:05 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> On 10/07/2012 02:48 PM, wena-parry at talktalk.net wrote:
> > Ciao
> > It would be like haven to have the ability to import into Scribus
> > text with such which retain its formatting, such things as Italics,
> > Bold, Underlining and if possible Subscript and Superscript and
> > Indenting. Preferably from OpenOffice.
> >
> > I have a big 200 + book coming from Canada with all this formats in
> > it. I can foresee me making a some mistakes and having to send my
> > work to the client in PDF and then editing in Scribus, able days to
> > do so.
> >
> > The to be able to import to do final edit in OpenOffice.
> >
> The way to do this is to refrain from doing any text editing in
> Scribus. Make your various styles, etc., in LibreOffice (or

there are some problems - at least up to 1.4.1 - which stopped me doing
this 100%. But I see the advantage of doing it.

> OpenOffice), and they should be successfully imported with the text.
> When you proofread and find errors, go back to the ODT file and edit
> in LO/OO, then import again. Of course with 200 pages, you will want
> to break this up anyway, but certainly re-importing a huge ODT file
> would be a task which might rightfully provoke anxiety for the layout.
>
> Having said this, you may still need to tweak styles. I don't think
> that LO/OO can match the precision of font size, for example (at
> least it won't show any value smaller than tenths of a point). For
> the layout of a book, there probably will be some places where a line
> or some words might need some very subtle adjustments to fit or for
> aesthetic reasons.

If an Text Processor could match scribus, nobody would use scribus.

My problem with this approach is that if the text processor provided a
file which is 'good enough' there would be no need to use scribus at
all.

I only can suggest the method I use. Get the text as good as possible
done in some external tool, import it and then stick with scribus. This
should be less effort and will deliver the result faster as the
influence of a change is seen at the spot.

We also have to consider that we are talking about things which are so
hard to recognise by a beginner that the beginner does not even
understand what we are talking about.

Erich