[scribus] PDF Colour separations

Frank Cox melville.theatre at gmail.com
Thu May 24 17:15:49 UTC 2012

On Thu, 24 May 2012 14:11:29 +0200
Peter Nermander wrote:

> So if yon can use TIFF for your plates I think this is the best way.

I had a bit of a revelation last night when I was looking at this some more.

We don't actually do process colour on the first page, it's just spot colour for
the masthead, the headline of the day and an occasional ad or something.  To
this point we have been using colour to separate the content on the first page
from the masthead, etc. Basically, we print the content in black and the
masthead in cyan, then do a colour separation and have two plates ready.  The
front page black plate is, of course, black, and the pressman uses the cyan
plate with whatever colour strikes his fancy that day.

I have decided to try using Scribus layers instead and see what happens.
My idea is to put the content on the background layer and the masthead on a
second layer.  We will then export the pdfs from Scribus in two steps, one with
the background layer on the first page and the entire remainder of the paper,
and one with only the second layer of the first page.

I am really quite excited by the "outline all fonts" option that was pointed
out by Flem and am hoping that this will allow me to get past the crappy fonts
problem (which is of course the objective of doing this in the first place).

Of course, the best solution would be to persuade the folks who do the layout
to not use that stuff, but I've tried and failed at that repeatedly.