[scribus] PDF Colour separations

Frank Cox melville.theatre at gmail.com
Wed May 23 04:48:23 UTC 2012

On Tue, 22 May 2012 23:14:01 -0400
Gregory Pittman wrote:

> This does bring up an option you might try. Use okular and File > Import
> PostScript as PDF, which converts the PS to PDF, then save. See if that
> might work -- it seemed to load into Adobe Reader without problems.

I'm not actually trying to get data into Scribus.  I'm trying to get it out.

My workflow is as follows:  We lay out a newspaper using Scribus.  After that
we currently print to a colour separated ps file.  I wrote a little program
that counts the pages in the ps file and then separates them into four pdf
files, black.pdf, cyan.pdf, yellow.pdf and magenta.pdf.

We then print those pdf files onto separate plates for the press, so we end up
with four plates for page one, four more for page two, and so on.  This is
pretty easy to do with Scribus's ps output because you get four pages of output
for each page of input when you print a colour separation.

However, in an attempt to avoid problems with bad fonts as I described earlier,
I'm thinking that it might be worth a shot to try doing the colour separations
from a pdf file exported by Scribus instead of printing to a ps file.

Which leads to my question:  When I print to a ps file I get the option to
print separations, and I then get four pages in my ps file for each page of
input.   This option doesn't appear to exist under Scribus's "Export to PDF"
option.  Therefore, what is the best way to create a set of colour separated
PDF's from Scribus similar to what I can get out of a ps file?