[scribus] Performance problems with scribus 1.4.1 under MacOS 10.7.4

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun May 20 00:23:21 UTC 2012

On 05/19/2012 11:29 AM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 05/18/2012 04:48 AM, Christof Jung wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am relatively new to Scribus.
>> Currently I am trying to layout a simple A5 invitation which so far
>> has a
>> photo (<  5 MB) and some text on path, and some plain text, so nothing
>> really big. Anyhow, whatever click I make (edit a path, zooming,
>> scrolling
>> ...), I get the "spinning waterball" of MacOS for one or two seconds.
>> This
>> is obviously annoying and makes it almost impossible to work with.
>> My Macbook is fairly recent and I have, except for Firefox, no other
>> application running in parallel.
>> I upgraded from 1.3.9 recently and I think I did not have these
>> performance
>> problems in the old version.
>> Thanks
>>
> Even "< 5 MB" is pretty big for something reduced to A5.
> You can try setting the display resolution to Low, or maybe even turn
> off the display of the image when you are not needing it.

Something I just discovered which would be useful to know as an option:

If you look in the Layers dialog, there is a check box for each layer
for Outline Mode. What this does is simplify graphical elements on that
layer, so a vector drawing would show only outlines, images would not
show in an image frames on that layer.

Greg