[scribus] GiveLife color system license?

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Fri May 18 18:41:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, 18 May 2012 12:03:41 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> On 05/18/2012 09:29 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Peter Nermander wrote:
> >> And how does the inclusion of GiveLife colors affect the
> >> classification of Scribus as "Free"?
> >>
> >> I guess it affects Scribus if Debian thinks that GiveLife colors
> >> are not "free" and Scribus is removed from Debian Main and move
> >> into non-free?
> >
> > It's entirely possible to split a tarball into several packages like
> > 'scribus' and 'scribus-data-non-free', no?
> >

> Is this really such a taint? Perhaps some of the various proprietary
> graphics importers, the antiword importer also taint...
>
> Maybe purists should just buy InDesign and leave Scribus alone.
>
> Greg

 A user need not be a purist to object if their favorite registry refuses to
carry the latest stable version of Scribus. I don't have that problem but
others will.

If one wishes a greater span of CMYK colors the Galaxy Gauge Color
Guide displays over a 1,000 printed swatches and their CMYK
notation. If I wanted to find a particular color not found on the
Scribus Open Office Palette I would use the Galaxy product. IMO
the Givelife effort has no practical use. And if it screws up
distribution of Scribus in the Debian etc. world then it should
be omitted.
--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers: