[scribus] GiveLife color system license?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu May 17 23:05:46 UTC 2012

On 05/17/2012 05:51 PM, john Culleton wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 00:10:04 +0400
> Alexandre Prokoudine<alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Harry wrote:
>>> I build OSS packages from source, in a corporate context that
>>> requires OSI-compliant licenses down to silicon...for software.
>>> I regularly build scribus.
>>>
>>> When I saw scribus now uses givelife, I went looking for its
>>> licenses...and couldn't find any.
>> They are in .rtf files, for both GiveLife and a set of other palettes.
>>
>> Last time I asked the team wasn't willing to talk about GiveLife.
>> Maybe you will be more lucky.
>>
>> Alexandre Prokoudine
>> http://libregraphicsworld.org
> Exactly what does Givelife do for Scribus?

I had nothing to do with the incorporation of GiveLife into Scribus, but
I am puzzled as to the apparent controversy. The licensing is no issue.
Scribus would gladly supply Pantone colors if it was allowed to do so.
Why? Because, like it or not, it is an industry standard and widely used.

You are not required to use GiveLife, and it seems unlikely that it will
get in your way as you design. If you want to learn more, then perhaps
the place to look would be their website, where they boldly display some
email addresses:

http://www.givelifecolorsystem.com/About.php

So what GiveLife does for Scribus is to simply /allow/ someone who
wishes to use it have immediate access within Scribus. That's about it.

Given the next Libre Graphics Meeting site being Madrid, perhaps we can
invite them to be a sponsor/attendee/presenter.

Greg