[scribus] Limit to number of layers?

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sat Mar 31 23:38:04 UTC 2012

hi

> > well, it won't exists if nobody works on it :-)
> >
> > there are systems that exist for branching your work... the question
> > is: how to make them work for a graphist designer?
> >
> > imo, we need graphic designers to invest some time and tell us, how
> > scribus could do it right.
>
> OK..help me out here...you're saying that a nodes-based tool does not
> yet exist? or that some tool other than layers, which does what
> layers can do does exist now?

there are nodes-based tools that exist.

but -- afaik -- not for dtp.

> Here's where I am...I have a pretty full plate. So, when I try to
> incorporate open source ware in to my tool kit, I gravitate toward
> tools and methods that correspond to ones I'm already familiar with.
> There are compelling reasons for new software developers to build
> upon existing paradigms rather than re-enventing graphic design apps.
> You might grab a passionate following amongst those for whom Scribus
> is the only layout app they have ever used or ever will, but you'll
> likely discourage those coming from Quark/InDesign backgrounds.
>
> Getting back to layers. The concept behind their use is very simple.
> And there are equally simple and few reasons one would even use
> layers. If they work, great, if they don't, well, I'm forced to think
> it's a bug or poor implementation, and then move on.
>
> I can tell you that among other art directors and designers such as
> myself, Scribus is respected but considered a bit behind the times.
> Some say 10 years or more. There are certain workflows and realities
> of publishing and print production that demand layout programs do
> certain things in certain ways.

i live on the other side of the moon.

i help people using their computer and i am involved in the development
of a free dtp tool.

so you may understand that my point of view is a bit different than
yours :-)

what i notice is that most people are not really comfortable with the
tools they're using.
in the development of scribus i try to help and push the users to think
about how they want to work, to formalize it and help us to make a
software that really works in a way they can see the computer as their
friend!

> We could spend time discussing it, if we have to, but thus far, it
> seems like heresy to suggest things about Scribus, and I'm not
> interested in opening any cans of worms.

good and well documented suggestions are always very welcome and can
lead to big changes!
(i'm currently doing some coding based on an incredibly well thought
specification: it does really really help and makes my work sooo much
more pleasant!)

throwing around ideas and suggestions is entertaining and -- in the
long term -- makes things change.
nothing gets lost, but the result may be very different depending on
the form and the channel used for the communication.

ciao
a.l.e