[scribus] Scribus & Amazon Kendel.

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Mar 11 13:55:56 UTC 2012

On 03/11/2012 08:38 AM, Joop Kiefte wrote:
> The Amazon Kindle uses the MOBI-format (but also supports PDF, although PDF
> is harder to read because of fixed page size) which is a kind of
> packaged/compiled HTML format. It's closer to EPUB than to PDF. The problem
> with supporting it in Scribus is that it's a structured text format, not a
> fixed page format.

Precisely. If you really want to make something useful for a Kindle,
there is software out there that can help, but you're better off going
back to the content.

There is the website Pressbooks, which will allow creating a blog-like
output (it's based on WordPress), but also allow exporting to ePub and
PDF (with less control of layout than with Scribus). You can then take
the ePub and convert to Mobi format with calibre.

I haven't tried importing a PDF to LibreOffice to see what that could
lead to, but it's another thought.

There are also some standalone programs you can get to generate ebook
formats.

Greg