[scribus] Scribus and InDesign compared

mir mir123 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 00:59:44 UTC 2012

We just finished the first edition of a travel guide for Panama in Scribus
(stories and sample pages soon to come on the wiki).  We had to think hard
about jumping into Scribus, with zero experience on our team, and going the
safe way with InDesign, the latter being the industry standard and lots of
people proficient in it.

We intend to keep making new editions of this book over the years.  The
thought of having our dear book, all 400 pages of it, forever locked in a
proprietary format and of us enslaved forever to Adobe (or whoever ends up
buying the company, if it still exists in ten years) was the reason we
decided to go for Scribus.  If the market drifts away from InDesign, as far
as we know, there is no guarantee we would be able to convert our designs
into a new format.

We are very happy with the results, and with the knowledge we have of
Scribus we can share it with other non-profits who can make their
publications with a very low initial investment.  Thank you Scribus!