[scribus] Tagging CHARACTER text for styles.

Richard Foley rich.inud at naktiv.net
Fri Jun 29 07:09:42 UTC 2012

Applying character styles to text, alongside an easy way to group images with a
text caption, are the two items I most missed while using Scribus 1.4.n
Otherwise a pleasant to use and *reliable* piece of software.  The paragraph
styles seem to be applied like a broad brush stroke, delineated by having a
start-tag and an end of paragraph (or start of new one). Very useful, but
frustratingly blunt, handling only headers, sub-headers and entire paragraphs.

It seems to me the CHARACTER styles is an issue of having start and end tags
within a block of text. and part of the problem is being able to identify the
end tag. Perhaps a couple of suggestions for the tag styling might help get the
ball rolling?

Next identical (yuk): ...some \c1character styled text\c1 ...

    start=\c1
    end=\c1

Explicit (yuk): ...some \c1-startcharacter styled text\c1-end ...

    start=\c1-start
    end=\c1-end

Bracketed (yuk): ...some \c1(character styled text\c1) ...

    start=\c1(
    end=\c1)

Bracketed enclosed (best?): ...some \c1(character styled text)\c1 ...

    start=\c1(
    end=)\c1

XML-like: ...some <\c1>character styled text</\c1> ...

    start=<\c1>
    end=</\c1>

Other:

    ...?

Also, it would probably be sensible to disallow nested tags, (and definitely
disallow cross-over tags, much like HTML).

It is clear this is voluntary open-source software - and long may that continue.

--
Ciao

Richard Foley

Supporting Naked Activities