[scribus] Document setup - Tools - Text does not work for new textboxes?

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Wed Jun 20 15:03:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:13:16 +0200 ale rimoldi
<ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> hi
>
> > > so, in my eyes,  in the "document setup" > text tool we
> > > should replace the typographic settings with a drop down
> > > listing the available styles. in that way, you can choose
> > > the style that will be applied to the newly created text
> > > frames.
> > >
> > > btw, probably, this is what should happen with all the
> > > tools document settings, as soon as we have styles for
> > > them.
> >
> > Of course the story editor provides such a drop down list.
> >
> > I would like to see the story editor to come with a double
> > row of icons as the default, so thas there are fewer/no
> > hidden icons.
>
> of course this discussion didn't have anything to do with the
> story editor... but you probably didn't notice...
>
> btw, i will teach some latex skills to some engineering
> students this summer.  they will use it for their school
> writings. i wonder if they will do the cover with scribus.
>
> ciao a.l.e

As a user of TeX since about 1996 I would certainly recommend
cover design in Scribus. There are horses for courses as my
father used to say.

I noted that the feature you asked for was already available. The
discussion is after all about creating text in Scribus. I know
you don't recommend the Story Editor to newcomers.  I hold a
different view.

I did a cover as an exercise in a variant of TeX, surely not
LaTeX but probably pdftex or maybe Context. But Scribus is of
course my tool of choice for cover design. Altough I generally
stay away from LaTeX I did one large book for a customer in
pdflatex using the superb Memoir class. It has features such as
epigraphs that I found useful on that particular book.  I did not
do the cover. Currently I am working on an index using pdftex and
makeindex.

You might want to at least mention Context as a more modern
variant of TeX. Some may like it. And there is also the Memoir
class in LaTeX.  The documentation is superb. In fact the first
three chapters were broken out as a separate pdf book under the
name "memdesign.pdf". In a texlive distro look here:
/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/doc/fonts/memdesign/memdesign.pdf
It is a very useful discussion of book design in general and is
not TeX-specific.

-- John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers:
http://wexfordpress.net/shortlist.html
Police Procedural and Expose: "Death Wore Black"
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"
http://www.booklocker.com/books/4055.html