[scribus] bookletimposer

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Mon Jun 11 21:25:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 14:49:17 +0200
Kjö Hansi Glaz <kjo at a4nancy.net.eu.org> wrote:

> Hi Scribus users,
>
> I wrote a small utility that I use to produce boolkets with scribus :
> Bookletimposer. 0.2 was released recently.
>
> Bookletimposer is an utility to achieve some basic imposition on PDF
> documents, especially designed to work on booklets :
>
> - produce a booklet out of a linear document;
> - produce a linear document out of a booklet;
> - reduce a document to put many pages on every sheet.
>
> Bookletimposer is implemented as a commandline and GTK+ interface to
> pdfimposer, a reusable python module built on top of pyPdf.
>
> It was tested on GNU/Linux althought it may work on any systems with
> a Python interpreter.
>
> Bookletimposer and pdfimposer are both free software released under
> the GNU General Public License, either version 3 or (at your option)
> any later version.
>
> Downloads and more information are available at:
>
>     http://kjo.herbesfolles.org/bookletimposer/
>
> For Debian users, a package is also available in wheezy.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kjö Hansi Glaz

This is a very interesting approach. I have a more generalized
method. First I produce or convert to a PS file. Then I run the
file through s series of standard Postscript utilities. A typical
linux script looks like this:

psbook $1.ps $1b.ps
echo 'psnup'
psnup -2 -ptabloid -Pletter $1b.ps $1p.ps
echo 'psselect'
psselect -o   $1p.ps $1o.ps
psselect -e -r  $1p.ps $1e.ps
#lpr $1o.ps
#echo 'switch paper'
#read x
#lpr $1e.ps
#rm $1p.ps $1e.ps $1o.ps $1b.ps
This particular script produces a booklet, letter size input on
tabloid size paper. My printer doesn't duplex so I use two passes
as shown.

For a file named foo.ps the script is called thus:

script1a foo

FYI
--
John Culleton