[scribus] a new ebook

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 07:16:18 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Frank Cox wrote:

> I use fbreader to read ebooks, including epub format.  It's available with
> simple "yum install fbreader" on Centos and probably on other Linux
> distributions as well.
>
> Otherwise, their website is here: http://www.fbreader.org/

What I find most interesting in this discussion is that so far no
single person _knowingly_ tried reading the ePub file on any ebook
device. Which kind of defeats the point of creating ePub, no?

Well, I tried it on a Nook Simple Touch.

- The cover could use less gradients.
- Starting with "Using Scribus" paragraphs lose leading and paragraph-spacing.
- "New Document" section start with a screenshot (which is wrong
itself) which doesn't fit the typical 600px ebook reader width, and
the consecutive paragraph has no before-spacing
- "Here to the right we see an example of a Double Sided display..." -
this part where screenshot is right aligned in the paragraph looks
horrible on the device, and after that paragraph leading and spacing
is lost again.
- "Page Size" starts with a screenshot again, and the text doesn't
flow around it at all.

I could go on. Should I?

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org