[scribus] who pays for font fees ?

Jan Schrewe jschrewe at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 5 14:42:47 UTC 2012

On 5 June 2012 12:35, JLuc <jluc at no-log.org> wrote:

> Le 01/06/2012 01:43, Gregory Pittman a écrit :
>
>  Perhaps they need to understand the terminology. Perhaps by licenced they
>> mean proprietary. Even most free fonts have a
>> licence, albeit a free licence that allows for usage of the font however
>> the end user sees fit. And some free fonts have
>> some usage restrictions.
>>

> The licence is linotype's
> in english : http://www.linotype.com/en/**2061-28225/<http://www.linotype.com/en/2061-28225/>
> in french : www.linotype.com/fr/2061-28225
>
> Rob Oakes wrote :
>
>  The ultimate responsibility, of course, falls to the editor. If you
>> publish the book without paying the licensing fees, you can be liable
>> for damages. (At least in the US.)
>>

> AMOF, my question is more about "who is to be legaly licenced"
> rather than "who has to pay for the fees".
>
> As for ultimate responsability : as the editor, I wont edit the doc
> and just send the received PDF to the printer,
> and the layout company allready owns the licence for that beloved-by-them
> font.
>
> Giving these and after studying the licence,
> i'm about to think that we dont need to acquire a new licence.
> Do you think the same ?

Yes.

Relevant for you is the third paragraph, specifically "You may embed the
Font Software only into an electronic document that (i) is not a Commercial
Product, (ii) is distributed in a secure format that does not permit the
extraction of the embedded Font Software, and (iii) in the case where a
recipient of an electronic document is able to Use the Font Software for
editing, only if the recipient of such document is within your Licensed
Unit."

Number (ii) covers your use case if they embed the font into a PDF. If they
convert the glyphs to images (vector or pixel) the rest of the third
paragraph is applicable. The same goes for the printer.

Cheers,

Jan