[scribus] Switch tex engine

henry atting nsmp_02 at online.de
Tue Jan 31 07:34:49 UTC 2012

john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> writes:

> On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:39:01 -0500
> john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 18:27:57 +0100
>> henry atting <nsmp_02 at online.de> wrote:
>>
>> > john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> writes:
>> >

>> > I know, I know. I am working with TeX/LaTeX for years now. I only
>> > was wondering if I may have overlooked some kind of utf8 setting in
>> > scribus. But as I said if it's the old TeX way to do it - no
>> > problem. I have a lot of (otf) fonts in ~/.fonts that's why I
>> > preferably use luatex.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > henry
>> >
>> OK in Scribus (not TeX or TeX called by Scribus) in the story
>> editor you can call in accented characters. Both my versions of
>> Scribus are down right now but look on the "INSERT" menu (I
>> think).
>>

>  Fixed my temporary problem. In the story editor go to
> Insert->Glyph. Then click on the little grid icon in the left
> hand corner. For Arial regular the character you want is on the
> right hand end of the fourth row. Double click on it. Then hit the
> insert button. Exit the glyph entry screen.
>
> Not every font will have the right glyph.

Good to know, for some special signs this makes it very easy.

I now use emacsclient as the external editor. I jot down the
text at first as usual and then do a query/replace for all utf8 signs.
If i need it more often I'll write a little script for that.

By the way... I checked out scribus some time ago when the stable
version still had no *TeX support. By now I produce e.g. little
booklets with *TeX [1] but I think that using scribus would make
things much easier. Especially the color management support makes
scribus such a great piece of software. (I'm inclined to put some
exlamation marks behind `great' but as this is not a good style I'll
refrain from it ;-) )

----

[1] http://literaturlatenight.de/booklet.pdf

--