[scribus] Identifying RGB image objects

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Fri Jan 27 00:54:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM, john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:33:27 -0500
> Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On 01/25/2012 05:08 PM, John Ghormley KJ4UFG wrote:
> > > I need to have the system search for and identify any RGB image
> > > objects in my .sla file.  Everything inside my publication is black
> > > and white and in CMYK.  However, I sometimes forget to convert a
> > > grayscale RGB object to CMYK and the pre-press folks bring it to my
> > > attention.  Is there a way to search for just RGB objects with
> > > Scribus or, if not, can it be done with a script?
> > >
> > > Be advised, I am not a Python coder, so if I must use a script, is
> > > there one available or is there someone who can code it for me?
> > >

> > It's a bit manual but pretty easy, no Python required:
> >
> > Just pull up the Manage Images dialog (Extras > Manage Images), where
> > you can just arrow your way through your images, watching the info at
> > the bottom for the colorspace.
> >
> > Greg

> > Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain Hosting
> >               http://www.doteasy.com
>
> Would not the use of an appropriate print ICC profile automatically
> convert the RGB images to CMYK?

Good question, John.

If that is a test, then I will fail it, as I have little knowledge of ICC
profiles and how they work.  Generally, at least until I discovered the
utility described above, I relied on my graphics editor to provide me with
grayscale graphics for the inside of the magazine.

On the other hand, if your question was really a suggestion, the previous
statement may let you know that I have no clue which ICC profile would be
appropriate.

Nonetheless, thanks.

John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*