[scribus] page grid asymetry

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 14:10:32 UTC 2012

On 01/25/2012 03:23 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
> hi hadmut,
>

>> Am 24.01.2012 16:27, schrieb a.l.e:
>>> without knowing what you're trying to do, it's a bit hard to tell,
>>> but, basically, i would tell you not to use the grid and create a
>>> typographical grid on the master page, instead.
>>>

>> I plan to create photobooks with inkscape since I am more than tired
>> of these proprietary windows programs printing service providers
>> offer.
>>
>> Therefore, I want to place pictures of varying sizes and orientations
>> in a regular way.
>
> that's what a typographic grid is for.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_%28page_layout%29
>
> you don't have to use it in a dogmatic way (as the article correctly
> points out), but if you're going for a grid, i think that this is the
> way to go!
>
>>> you can read about it in wikipedia and use page>  manage guides>
>>> rows and columns to create one.
>
>> I do know these guides.
>>
>> However, If I add all those guides I'd need for a photobook of 200
>> pages, I'd end up in creating the grid manually.
>
> it takes a few seconds to create a full typographic grid. you will
> place it in your master pages

I would think you might want to have this grid on a layer of its own,
which can be visible or invisible, and never print. If you used a single
grid, it would need to be designed to function for both right and left
pages, or you could have two separate layers, one for right, one for
left, switching on and off as needed -- just leave the Layers dialog
open as you work.

Greg