[scribus] Scribus history

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 21:34:24 UTC 2012

On 01/20/2012 03:56 PM, Jean Mielot wrote:
> Hi
>
> As recent Scribus convert I was just wondering the exact nature of the
> project.
> Who started it? When? Who's in charge? Any funding? etc.
>
> I checked the wiki but found no real mention of this.
>
> Just out of interest really. I am very keen to see Scribus become a viable
> Indesign/Quark competitor (damn almost there) and hope to make a small
> contribution to the project somewhere along the line.

Thanks for the interest Jean.
If you look in the Scribus Manual online and click the Documentation
line, you get the Preface to the documentation, which has Peter
Linnell's original introduction, plus some updates. Scribus celebrated
its 10th anniversary last year, and was begun by Franz Schmid as a
personal project.

There is a team in charge, as noted in the credits, though that team
still prominently includes Franz. I've been urging us to find a way to
set up an account somewhere so that when we receive offers of financial
support, we have somewhere for that to be deposited.

We did receive a grant from the Organization internationale de la
francophonie (http://www.francophonie.org) for work on some specific areas.

Greg