[scribus] issue with Scribus' justification (WAS: move pages to new doc)

Jean Mielot j.mielot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 19:56:27 UTC 2012

On 20/01/2012 21:43, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 13:27:07 -0500
> john Culleton<John at wexfordpress.com>  dijo:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:51:37 +0200
>> Jean Mielot<j.mielot at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Indeed microtypography is what I'm talking about.
>>> Doesn't Indesign use the Hz-program? Is that open source?
>> Everything in TeX is Open Source.
> I recall reading years ago that when Adobe incorporated the TeX
> paragraph justification into InDesign it took them many thousands of
> programmer hours to accomplish it. If I recall correctly the problem
> was that they had to look at the TeX code to see how it was done, then
> completely rewrite the concepts for InDesign. It was not possible just
> to copy and paste the code into InDesign, not only because of different
> programming languages, but also because of different program
> environments.
>
> I'm hoping that it turns out to be easier for the Scribus developers to
> incorporate it into Scribus, because it would be a really cool feature
> to have.
As mentioned at the start of this thread - for me this type of
microtypography
is unfortunately the determining factor in my decision to use Scribus.
I have just uploaded my final magazine PDF to the printers and am
more than happy with the end result - only issue is the justification.

But as a.l.e mentioned before it IS all possible with manual tweaking...
so surely the groundwork is there.

I'm quite interested in investigating this with python. If one could script
it in such a way that it deals with a selected paragraph at a time - that
would already be quite useful. But I'm not sure if the API is up for this
yet. I am checking out 1.5 svn now for the first - will be interesting
to see
  what's going on there.