[scribus] Two color management questions

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Thu Jan 19 18:20:48 UTC 2012

Hi,

two newbie questions (using scribus for the first time for printing):

I have to create a document with embedded pictures (digital camera,
coming with embedded sRGB profile from Adobe Lightroom). The print
service provider asks for PDF/X-3 and a Fogra27L profile.

My two questions (scribus 1.4.0):

  * Whatever I do, the PDF/X-3 generated by Scribus contains the
    pictures still as RGB JPEG oder PPM. They are embedded with a PDF
    reference to their color profile (sRGB), but I never found CMYK
    images in the generated PDF.

    The scribus manual says that it is the preferred way to leave
    pictures in RGB and to have the conversion done by the printer's
    RIP. This might be true for modern RIPs, but how could I make
    scribus convert the embedded images into CMYK?

  * There are two different settings for the print profile.

    One is under File->Document_Setup->Color_Management->Printer.

    The other is under
    File->Document_Setup->PDF_Export->Pre-Press->PDF/X-3 Output Intent

    What is the difference between these settings? Both seem to describe
    the printer the PDF is made for.

    And then, what's their meaning at all? If Scribus leaves the
    embedded images as sRGB and depends on the printer's RIP to do the
    conversion, what use do these settings have?

regards
Hadmut