[scribus] Drop Shadow

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Tue Jan 17 13:46:59 UTC 2012

hi william,

> No soft shadow obliterates anything that it falls upon, but only
> modifies its appearance, much like the shadow of the earth modifying the
> appearance of the moon during a lunar eclipse. Therefore, the following
> is true:
>
> In order for Scribus to properly support soft shadows, it would have to
> first natively support both transparency and various forms of gradients
> (especially gradients that directly follow the shape of an object), and
> be able to treat transparency as a variable element of those gradients.
>
> I know that sounds daunting to say the least (it certainly does to me),
> but if you're going to do it, you might as well do it right.

first, scribus does support transparency... do you need new types of it?

gradients... there are a lot of them already in scribus... and place for
more...

you seem to deeply understand the way drop shadows works: may i ask you
to write an exact specification of everything needed for scribus to
support it?

i think that there is at least one person in the scribus community, who
is ready to program the craziest forms of gradients and transparencies
one can ask for (and PDF can support...).  :-))

ah, yes, one limit is probably what PDF supports...

ciao
a.l.e