[scribus] Fedora 16

Dan Horák dan at danny.cz
Fri Jan 13 07:25:00 UTC 2012

Gregory Pittman píše v Čt 12. 01. 2012 v 20:00 -0500:
> On 01/12/2012 07:41 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:35:12 -0500
> > Gregory Pittman<gregp_ky at yahoo.com>  dijo:
> >
> >> For those interested in how long it takes Fedora to update Scribus, I
> >> just today received 1.4.0 as an upgrade from their repo.
> >
> > A couple days after it was announced here I asked on the Fedora forums.
> > A kind person told me it was in the testing repos, so I was able to
> > install it with yum --enable-repo (or something close to that; forget
> > the exact command).
> >
> > They never did get RC6 even in testing. And it is possible that my
> > query on the forums spurred them to get 1.4.0 out; had I not asked it
> > might still not be in the main repos. I even mentioned that it was time
> > to retire 1.3.3.14 and move 1.4.0 to stable. I expressed some annoyance
> > in my language.
> >
> > I learned a lot over the past two years of Fedora, so I don't regret
> > the experience, but when my current 4.5 year old computer needs
> > replacing I'm probably going to go back to Ubuntu or Mint or something
> > else. Fedora is, on the one hand too cutting edge for me, and on the
> > other hand too slow to get things like Scribus in the repos.
> >

> To be a bit explanatory though, the recent version was 1.3.9 -- they
> made the unfortunate decision to quickly adopt 1.3.4 years ago, and
> didn't want to listen when I told them this was a mistake.
>
> I think that waiting from 1.3.9 to 1.4.0 was not necessarily a bad decision.

Just few words of explanation - the decision about 1.3.4 was made before
I stepped in, but then I've submitted a package called scribus-stable
for review and made it available in my repository. Unfortunately no
reviewer was interested enough in finishing the review. Regarding the
inclusion of rcX in Fedora, it would be against the "updates guidelines"
to use an unstable in a released version of Fedora. I know it's more
complicated, but some other people would complain loudly seeing rcX
released as an update. Again the rcX were available in my repo which I
use for stuff that is not in Fedora yet or can't be in Fedora. And why
it took so long before 1.4.0 landed in Fedora - every package needs to
spend some time (7+ days) in a "testing" repository before it can be
released as an official update unless enough people mark the packages
fine in which case it can be released earlier.

So let's start a new chapter of packaging Scribus in Fedora with 1.4.0.

Dan