[scribus] Trouble running Scribus 1.4.0 with IceWM and Rox

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu Jan 5 07:45:11 UTC 2012

hi duane,

> I just installed the new Stable version of Scribus on an Antix M11
> box, its a Pentium 4 about 2 Ghz.
> I usually use mepis but due to this machines limitations I chose Antix
> which I am not that familiar with.
> Here is the problem that has me stumped.
>  When I open the Storybook editor it starts too high up on the screen
> and I can't get a hold of the top of it to move it down.
> Each time I try to use it it jumps even higher up on the screen until
> I close Scribus then it returns to the original position which is
> still too high.
> The monitor is a 14 inch one which was working fine on  another
> install I had on a Pentium 3 box but although it runs fine there that
> box was painfully slow.
> I can perhaps buy another monitor used [all my larger ones are
> attached to walls on boxes I frequently use]
> The jumping higher with each use is a real bummer.
> Is there anybody successfully running Scribus on a lightweight window
> manager that can give me an idea how to fix this?
> Yeah I know I really need a larger monitor !!

i've been successfully running scribus with a lightweight WM for
years... even on small monitors.

on the other side, is a well known fact that scribus is not able to
store the position of all its windows. one day, somebody should fill a
list of all the dialogs and check which ones don't retain their
position (and which ones can't be closed with the ESC key...).

finally, you should probably try to work without the storybook editor.
scribus has improved a lot in the last few years and -- for most cases
and users -- the story editor is not needed anymore: just edit your
text in the frame itself. it's much more comfortable, that way!

have a nice day
a.l.e