[scribus] "Offset of baseline to characters" doesn't seem to work correctly in Scribus 1.4.0

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 9 05:14:06 UTC 2012

 Peter Nermander" <peter at nermander.se> wrote:

 I just checked and this "problem" is also evident in 1.4.0-rc-6 so it
crept in between those two releases.  I also checked the resulting PDF
file, and all the single lines are in the wrong place.
> Is this a
 bug, or has something been changed with this setting from earlier
releases? If the latter, how am I now supposed to do this offset?  I can
 do a work-around (I guess), by setting the offset to

If I recall correct it was a bug in rc5 and earlier that was fixed.

It has been discussed on the list and I even think someone tried to
write a script to fix documents that were bade using the older buggy
version.

/Peter

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:12 PM

            From:
            and "ale rimoldi" <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:
hi murray,

just a notice for the next time: use the frame's top margin to center
the lines and not the line offset.
Sorry, I do not understand what you mean by the above.

there's even a script in the wiki which does calculate the margin for
you...

ciao
a.l.e

OK, now I am a bit confused. In earlier versions, this behaved the way I would have expected.  Now I no longer know how to do what I want!

Let's say I have a text frame that is about two lines high (in my case, the height is 10.6 mm and my text is 12 pt Arial).  Normally, the top of a single line of text would be at the top of the frame. With the current stable version (1.4.0), what do I do to make this single line appear near the centre (vertically), i.e. about half way down from the top?

In the older versions (from at least 1.2 to 1.4.0 rc4), I would highlight the text in its frame, then in the Properties window, under "Text" > "Advanced Settings", the first control (the one with the red vertical line with a black horizontal one in the middle followed by an upper case "T" and labled "Offset to baseline of characters") to -52% which would result in the text being moved down to the centre of the box.  Now, when I adjust this, the grey area around the highlighted text moves up or down, but the text itself does not move.

If it is now behaving "correctly", I don't understand what it is supposed to do.

Given that, what should I be doing to achieve my objective?

Thanks for any assistance.

Murray