[scribus] Character palette: Usage?

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Thu Feb 2 20:03:30 UTC 2012

Le 02/02/2012 14:53, ale rimoldi a écrit :
 > hi
 >
 >>> in this specific case one of the questions which are open is:
 >>> now, you've inserted a glyph from the palette and it has correctly
 >>> been set to zapfdingbats. if you then type the next char in the
 >>> frame itself, which font should the new char have? the one you were
 >>> using in the frame or the one applied from the "insert glyph"
 >>> dialog? i guess that -- most of the time -- you want to continue
 >>> with the font you had in the frame...

Each time i use this insert glyph palettes, it is to insert a dingbat or special character
usually used for a bullet in a list, or for a telephon or email sign.

Most of the time i only want one of these special chars in a row.
If I want more i choose them all with the tool
after inserting them i want to go on typing 'normal' text.

Thats how i want it in ALL the cases i can think of.
So to fulfill these needs, Scribus should choose the font that was there
before the insert was done,
that is the font specified in the current character style.

Said with other words : i insert a special character in a continuous flow.
So there is no reason to change that flow's font.

There might be practical situations when you would want to go on with the selected font.
But that would not be an "insert glyph" action,
it would be a completely different "choose font" action.
Thats when i dont want to insert a special character but when i want to define the font
for the next paragraph for example.
That action would provide a preview of a set of text in a large fontselector dialog
so as to better enable the right choice of a font.
Actually i think it is usually better to define a character or paragraph style for such a purpose.
So this advanced font selector would be better of being enabled in the style editor.

JLuc