[scribus] Tentative feature freeze for Scribus 1.5svn

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Sun Dec 30 20:04:42 UTC 2012

On 30/12/2012 08:23, "Christoph Schäfer" wrote:

> Hi John,
>
>>> What we need most, though (in addition to coding power),
>>   >is users willing to test, test, test -- and suggest!
>>
>> Where do we download snapshots to test ?
>>
>> (Windows snapshots in my case -  Yuk, sorry !)
>
> As you probably know by now, compiling for Windows is a
 >chore.

Yes, I don't know why, and I don't know what tool chain is required, but
I'm happy to believe it. Everything under windows seems to be a chore.
However messy it is though, I'm not quite sure why it can't be automated
?  Anyway, not to worry...

> Why don't you just install a virtual machine and
 >add a Scribus-friendly Linux distro like OpenSUSE or
 >Fedora?

The irony is that most of the software development work I do is on
Linux, usually Debian derived or Fedora, though we're still on Fedora 14
which is very old, and we normally access it from windows using
microsoft remote desktop which doesn't have the best ergonomics for fine
GUI work.

The upshot is that although I think we have an old Scribus installed
under Fedora, it always seems more practical to use Scribus on windows,
and I do use various windows SVNs and 64 bit versions, occasionally
identifying issues that might be fixed.

> Snapshots are fine, but a bug in a snapshot may have
 >already been fixed by the time it has been released,
 >resulting in unnecessary bug reports.

Yes, that's possible, but what proportion of bugs get fixed in say
any given 7 day period ?

> Building from source is so easy under Linux, so I really
 >urge you to give it a try :)

Not sure if it would build on Fedora 14 ?  Would it have a new enough
version of Qt etc ?

But there might be another benefit to more testing being done under
windows. Features like the spelling checker might not have been left out
of the windows versions for such a long time for example. I hope that
will be fully integrated into the next windows releases.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore,MSc EDM (Open),B.A. Chem (Oxon),CMIOSH,CEnv,MIEMA,MEI
Reg. Office: Unit 1A Manners Court, Manners Avenue, Ilkeston. DE7 8EF