[scribus] Scribus does the Wrong Thing

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sat Dec 29 21:39:52 UTC 2012

On 12/29/2012 01:23 PM, Joop Kiefte wrote:
> I tested this some time earlier already with arabic, and with only rtl or
> only ltr scribus does the right thing, combining is where it goes wrong...
> I remember that I got around this by having the reverse text in a frame on
> its own and paste it as a character in the surrounding text.

Interesting.  I can see how it could get it wrong if you enter the
characters one at a time (They show up in the Story Editor in ltr order
and get reversed as you exit.) but why does it do that if you simply
paste in a string?  It's not a major issue for me as it's not exactly
something I expect to do very often, but I am curious about why the
reversing function is even called in this situation.  Does anybody know?
  If it's something technical and boring to the average user, feel free
to reply off-list.  I did a fair amount of programming years ago and
should at least be able to follow the basic ideas.