[scribus] Tentative feature freeze for Scribus 1.5svn

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Dec 28 06:33:55 UTC 2012

Dear Scribus users and developers,

We've been discussing a possible release date of Scribus 1.5.0/1.6.0 last night in IRC. As a result, I've been asked to announce something like a tentative "feature freeze" and a plea not to start any new feature projects.

As of now, 1.5.0svn is such a huge improvement over 1.4.x that it makes more sense to stabilise and polish what we have and to finish the ongoing projects, especially those of Franz and Cezary, than to add even more. On the other hand, existing features, like the Text Filter or the Barcode Generator could probably be updated without too many efforts to reflect either Scribus's or the external program's new features.

This is not meant to discourage developers like Alessandro, who's working on epub export, since his project doesn't seem to be disruptive in any way. If it works, it can be included without hassles.

I have created a Wiki page with an issue-based schedule: http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus_1.5.0_Release_Schedule . Feel free to add your thoughts and/or to modify it.

What we need most, though (in addition to coding power), is users willing to test, test, test -- and suggest!

While we haven't discussed a release date, I take the liberty of suggesting autumn 2013 for a release candidate. Please help us to make this come true!

Cheers,

Christoph