[scribus] Libre Graphics Production - making free software for graphic production work together.

Staffan Melin (Oscillator) staffan.melin at oscillator.se
Thu Dec 27 21:59:08 UTC 2012

Hi all!

I'm almost finished with my Master's Thesis in Media Technology: "Can
free software replace proprietary software for graphic production?
Proving that free software can be used for book and magazine
production."

Well, a thesis might be good but not that useful unless backed up with
something else. So...

GOTHEBURG, SWEDEN
27th of December 2012

The Swedish media company Oscillator proudly presents Libre Graphics
Production (libregraphicsproduction.com).

Libre Graphics Production is about making free software and technology
for graphic production work together.

- I felt that although there are a lot of guides describing how to use
GIMP, Scribus and Inkscape, there was nothing describing how to make
them all work together. How to create a proper color managed workflow,
how to do proofing and what file formats to use, says Staffan Melin,
owner of Oscillator and main author of the site.

At Libre Graphics Production you will find a tested set of
instructions for making your own book or other graphic project using
free, open source, software. The ambition is to provide a starting
point for working with the open source "creative suite", mainly
Scribus, GIMP and Inkscape.

This site is built around a recommended workflow for graphic
production. For each step we present the desired functionality, the
recommended software, the file formats and tutorials. Additionally,
this site also presents free tools for working with graphic production
with links to documentation and tutorials. You will also find more
free resources.

This workflow has successfully been used to produce both a book and a magazine.

For more information, contact

Staffan Melin
Oscillator
staffan.melin at oscillator.se