[scribus] Scribus 1.4.1 on FreeBSD 10: error importing images

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Mon Aug 27 14:44:00 UTC 2012

On 25/08/2012 09:52, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was playing a bit and found a solution. I do not know if this
> solution will continue to work after moving the file to other machine.
>
> On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 15:17:59 +0700
> Erich Dollansky <erich.lists at ovitrap.com> wrote:
>
> When I change:
>
>>          PFILE="../../../../../../../../usr/usr/home/Projekte/ALO/Documents/Descriptions/Graphics/Library/ALO-2-Maldives.png"

>>          PFILE="/usr/home/Projekte/ALO/Documents/Descriptions/Graphics/Library/ALO-2-Maldives.png"
>
> it works even after the file is moved to another machine.

There would be something to be said for allowing absolute paths be
recorded in .sla files. They don't seem to be even if you write (in
windows)

     d:\a\ba\myPic.jpg

as the file name.

It would be even more cool to be able to record the path to another
machine so you could specify the path to a server which has the pictures
on it, e.g.

     \\MyServer\c\photos\ThePhoto.jpg

I appreciate this will be somewhat OS dependent, and there may be no
universal way of doing it, though maybe some form of URL could do it,
e.g. on my machine, a browser finds

     file://twocat/d/t4/jbt4wip/T4Www/Contact.html

where twocat is another machine, d is its d: drive, and the path of the
file is \t4\jbt4wip\T4Www\Contact.html

Just allowing relative paths is certainly a mixed blessing, and being
able to choose absolute or relative paths on a file by file basis would
be best.

Anyway -  interested to hear what other people think.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore,MSc EDM (Open),B.A. Chem (Oxon),CMIOSH,CEnv,MIEMA,MEI
Registered Office: 181 Belper Road, Stanley Common, Ilkeston. DE7 6FT