[scribus] scribus on Win7 68bit

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Mon Aug 27 07:06:06 UTC 2012

Hi,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 20:55:43 -0400
> Von: Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>
> Betreff: Re: [scribus] scribus on Win7 68bit

> On 08/26/2012 06:14 PM, isabel brison wrote:
> >>
> >> from the theoretical point of view, installing them in the same
> >> directory is a bad idea, could mess things up and should not really
> >> help...
> >>
> >> really, you just have to make sure that scribus calls the correct .exe
> >> file (or the binary file on mac) by fixing the path in the scribus
> >> preferences.
> >>

> > The trouble is, when I tried to do things properly (i.e. putting Gs64bit
> in
> > the 64bit folder and Scribus in the 32bit folder, and setting the path
> > Gs in Scribus preferences), this error message kept popping up saying
> > something about Gs not being in its proper place (I'm afraid I don't
> > remember the exact message, it was months ago. Probably should have
> > reported it at the time...).
> >
> >  When I tried putting them both in the same folder, it worked fine. It's
> > probably a messy solution, but it did work. Anyway, I'm interested to
> hear
> > if anyone has actually got the thing to work as it should with the
> programs
> > in different folders, and would like to know how they did it. Always
> best
> > to have everything neat and tidy :-)
>
> I think most of us don't have any trouble by just putting gs where it
> wants to go, somewhere down in the Program Files directory.
>
> Greg

To me this is yet another screw-up of MS that simply confuses users. To be clear, 64-Bit programs will be installed under X:\Windows\Programs, while 32-Bit programs will land in the directory X:\Windows\Programs (x86).

As to Scribus, it will be (as an x86 software) installed in the ~/Programs (x86) folder, and if you install a 32-Bit version of Ghostscript, Scribus should be finding gs just fine. However, if you install a 64-Bit-version of gs, Scribus doesn't detect it (yet), so you have to set the path to, e.g., C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.05\bin\gswin64c manually under File > Preferences > External Tools. This is also valid for cases in which Scribus doesn't find the 32-Bit version of gs: just add the path manually.

HTH,

Christoph