[scribus] Newspaper workflow

Stefan stmstmstmster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 14:07:01 UTC 2012

2012/8/23 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>:
> On 08/23/2012 02:19 AM, Stefan wrote:
>> Hi Javier,
>>
>> 2012/8/22 Javier García Alfaro <javiergalfaro at gmail.com>:
>>> Hi all, am editor / designer of a monthly newspaper [1] which recently began
>>
>> I take at the look of your first paper linked here
>> http://periodicoeleslabon.wordpress.com/
>> it seems like a 24 page magazine in tabloid format (a little larger
>> than A4-Format).
>>
>> Same as we are doing with http://kompass.im/kompass-archiv/ This is a
>> 24-page newsprint magazine for pirate party in germany.
>> The Issues Kompass 3.2011 Killerspiele and Kompass 2.2011 Arabellion
>> are produced with Scribus, Later ones with Adobe InDesign.
>>
>> Within Scribus there is no support for any kind of workflow. You will
>> need other tools to manage page planning and authors.
>>
>> What we use for that:
>>
>> - for page planning: a standard wiki with special wiki templates. It
>> lives at http://wiki.piratenzeitung.de
>> See the planning page for our August issue here:
>> http://wiki.piratenzeitung.de/?title=Kompass:2012.3
>> our layout guy uoploads his pdf previews to the wiki server.
>>
>> - for text editing: some pirate pads, that is a webbased text editor
>> for collaborative editing. We have a so-called "team-pad" at
>> http://artikelschmiede.piratenpad.de . We make the text good there. If
>> a text ist finished in the pad, we copy it into a corresponding page
>> in our wiki, our layout guy fetches it from there.
>>
>> - we have a weekly teleconference via mumble software. Cause we are
>> not in one city, but all across germany.
>>
>> Feel free to ask more questions.
>>

> Thanks, Stefan.
>
> This suggests to me two things. Perhaps we need some pages on the wiki
> that give some advice about the production of magazines and newspapers,
> that others can use as a resource.

I will look into that.

> Secondly, are there features which Scribus might add for the particular
> needs of those making periodicals?

Streamlining scribus.

First, streamlining the whole user experience in scribus itself, esp.
in-canvas textediting. This is very very slow & awkward with large
documents (as in 24 pages, many linked frames). Scribus has a
different approach to font settings and line spacing than other DTP /
wordprocessing tools. Often, fonts or spacing switch back to some
defaults just if a letter is deleted. Weird, esp. on large projects.

Streamlining the properties palette.

Streamlining the color palette. All colors from imported SVGs clutter
it up, its a huge timewaster. Do not list colors from SVGs there. I
converted vector art to bitmap for use in scribus just to avoid that.

Allow multiple objects to be chanced at once (recolored, resized ...)

Streamlining Bitmap Import and resizing.

Streamlining stiles. Its kind of weird, that line spacing is not
controlled together with font size.

More Key Shortcuts.

Text Import: easy text cleaning option for typesetting, eg.
Autoquotes. I know there is a script, but it must be a oneclick or
better noclick solution. Make it not hardcoded, but with user-editable
rules.

Maybe there could be lightweight versioning of pages: a use case might
be alternative headlines, alternative pics.

More PDF output options than only one (one for proofreading, one for
printing). FTP-Upload/Mail-Send/... support for pdfs.