[scribus] Strange behaviour in 1.4.1

Mike mike1264 at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 22 09:37:16 UTC 2012

On 22/08/2012 08:20, ale rimoldi wrote:
> hi
>
>>> "Are these pages with automatic creation of frames?"  Cannot say I
>>> understand the question, except to say that it did not involve a
>>> frame creation on my part, but rather a page INSERT as stated
>>> above.  The text frame that results is the same size as a full page
>>> frame as defined by my page borders.
>> Then I bet that is the problem.
>>
>> Scribus has a setting for "Automatic text frames". When that setting
>> is turned on, inserting a page will automatically create a text frame
>> on that page, with the size set to the margins of the page (as set up
>> in the document setup).
>>
>> But I have to confess that since I have never used the feature I can't
>> find where the setting is found...
> well, when an automatic frame is created and you asked for it at the
> document creation, well, thats a feature, not a bug!
>
> we will see how that document looks like...
>
> ciao
> a.l.e
>
> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

Hi,
Attached is a copy of a file that contains the ghost frames. It's part
of a 180-page book I am writing. The file contains only the first 11
pages of the document.
This machine's operating system is Windows 7 and the file has been
generated using Scribus 1.4.1 (downloaded yesterday to ensure an
up-to-date version).

What sort of frame appears? Text or Image - depends what frame is added
to the inserted page. Are you sure the errant frame wasn't there before
you added a page? Absolutely sure it was not there before adding a new
page. Is it dependent on having a starting document with content? Do you
see this with a blank page document? I've tried with a new blank
document and the problem does not appear. How do you add a page? Copy or
Insert? Copy and pasted from Word into the Story Editor. Are these pages
with automatic creation of frames? No, frames are added to blank pages
as they are needed.

The procedure I followed to replicate the ghost images was:
In a document that already contains pages with text boxes:
1. Page ¦ Insert: 2 pages, after page, based on default master page, A4
2. OK
3. Preflight Verifier
4. Free Objects Text 312, Text 313 Object is not on a page, Background
5. Scroll down through grey area to locate the frames at the end of the
grey area.
6. Delete and repeat to replicate problem.
7. Problem persists through a number of repeat applications and, at any
point in the 180 page document e.g. on any page.
8. You might also like to look at the values recorded in the Properties
Dialogue: X-Pos: 1.0000 in; Y-Pos: 1679.3400 in; Level 27. Inserting
pages further down the document e.g. page 101 then these values change
into huge numbers e.g. Level 297.

I hope this is useful for you.
Mike