[scribus] Aligning text to baseline, or to other objects

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sun Aug 19 09:51:40 UTC 2012

hi

> > 2. Inkscape allows you to align multiple text elements to their
> > common baseline or leading edge. The only thing I can find like
> > that in Scribus is the baseline grid, but that's common to all
> > text, you can't use it for different sizes of text, and doesn't
> > work on text running at 90°. Are there other methods or tricks I
> > can use to align specific text elements to a common baseline? What
> > about leading edge?
>
> This is trickier. I checked to see if locking a frame would lock the
> linespacing, but it doesn't. It would be nice if a given baseline
> grid could be layer-specific, but there's no such thing.
> I think you're stuck with manual methods, such as using guides, where
> you might visually line up lines with a guide, or if you use the
> frame, align that to the guide. Check out Windows > Align and
> Distribute.

aligning to and between baselines is imo a hard task.

already with the current way, understanding and correctly defining the
baseline grid is something hard for most people.

the way inkscape does is a good and i think that we have it also in
scribus. it should not be too hard to implement!

http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=11037

it should also be in the snap to item feature implemented by pierrick
during his GSoC... the tricky part being to avoid too many jumps.

http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=11038

let's hope for the best!

ciao
a.l.e