[scribus] Aligning text to baseline, or to other objects

Jason Heeris jason.heeris at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 10:14:08 UTC 2012

I've been using Scribus for a while now, after having used Inkscape for a
long time before that. I alternate between 1.4.1 and 1.5.0.svn depending on
the features I need (both from the listed PPAs, under Ubuntu 11.10). I have
a couple of questions about text handling.

1. Scribus always aligns text boxes by the box boundaries, not by the text
within it. I see how this makes sense, but is there any way to align the
*contents* of the text box, rather than the box itself? For example, if I
want to perfectly centre text inside a rectangle (horizontally and
vertically)... well, I don't know how to do that. If I try to resize the
text box to be as close as possible to the edges of the text, usually the
text will disappear before the box is small enough.

2. Inkscape allows you to align multiple text elements to their common
baseline or leading edge. The only thing I can find like that in Scribus is
the baseline grid, but that's common to all text, you can't use it for
different sizes of text, and doesn't work on text running at 90°. Are there
other methods or tricks I can use to align specific text elements to a
common baseline? What about leading edge?

Cheers,
Jason