[scribus] pdf file size once more

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Apr 29 02:53:59 UTC 2012

On 04/28/2012 07:07 PM, John Ghormley KJ4UFG wrote:
> The question is, of course, how can a 38 mb container hold all the data in
> a 527 mb container?  Does InDesign use some compression technique that
> Scribus does not?

AIUI, Scribus places every single character separately, instead of
placing each line as a unit.  This allows for very fine placement and
control, including letter by letter kerning if that's what you need, but
it also means that the resulting file is going to be larger than it
would have been otherwise.  I don't know if that's the whole explanation
for the size of your file, but I'm sure it's part of it.  Also, if you
embedded or outlined any fonts that InDesign didn't, that would explain
part of the increase.  And, I'm sure that there are other reasons that
I'm not aware of.