[scribus] Long space bars in Scribus

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Apr 20 16:19:05 UTC 2012

On 04/20/2012 11:04 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I should have added that I generally follow Bringhurst in matters of
> typography, and he recommends the n-dash with spaces rather than the
> em-dash or em-dash with spaces. I note that most publishers in the US
> use the em-dash without spaces, but I like Bringhurst's view. I added
> an autocorrect entry to change a space + hyphen to an en-dash.

I did some research into this as we were preparing the manual, and like
many aspects of typography, there has been a shift in preferences over
the years.

There used to be a strong preference for em-dashes, and the British
typically use them without spaces. In recent years there has been
increasing use of en-dashes, usually with spaces. I think you need the
spaces with en-dashes so they're not confused with hyphens.

With any of the options, whether en-dash, em-dash, comma, parentheses,
you need to be careful not to overuse them. A block of text studded with
these separators is not pleasing to look at (especially when it's
screwing up your linebreaks) and at least mildly annoying to read.

Greg