[scribus] [scribus 1.4.0] a point at filename parse error

Randolph Bentson bentson at holmsjoen.com
Fri Apr 20 02:45:37 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:59:23PM -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> There was a time that would have been fine in the Microsoft
> environment, but it would never have been right under any
> Unix/Linux version.

I don't think it has anything to do with the how Unix or Linux treats
file names.

Craig Bradney's hypothesis that "We probably count to the first . then
add .sla or .pdf.." is likely at the core of the problem. If the code
stripped off ".sla" from the end of the file name (if present) and
then added a ".pdf" suffix, this problem may be resolved.

The only restriction Unix and Linux places on characters used in file
names is that the null character (which has a binary value of 0) is
prohibited. That's because the null character is used in the C
programming language (used for interface to the operating system) to
terminate the string containing the file name. A filename such as
"A. at pdf.)B.sla.C(.pdf.=D.sla" is perfectly legal and utilities should
not be sensitive to this ugly mix of characters.

Although the operating system tolerates unusual characters, there
are utilities in Unix and Linux that may place limits on characters,
or treat them in some special way, but one can usually be overcome
these limitations by using quotations or special escape characters
to cause the utility to treat these characters like all the others.

--
Randolph Bentson
bentson at holmsjoen.com