[scribus] the docs license

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Wed Apr 11 15:41:16 UTC 2012

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:39:08 +0200 ale rimoldi
<ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> hi greg,
>
> > On 04/11/2012 07:36 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
> > >
> > > ... because there is a long history of people taking free
> > > scribus resources and making profit out of it....
> > >
> > > let's get real: there is almost no chance that somebody can
> > > make a huge profit from taking the manual, printing it and
> > > selling it.
> > >
> > If the docs are worth nothing, then why this ongoing argument
> > about the particulars of its licensing?
>
> in my eyes scribus docs are very valuable but have no
> commercial value.
>
> or at least have no commercial value that would lead to profits
> that are higher than the effort a publishing house would have
> to put in the promotion of a manual.
>
> ciao a.l.e

There are three English language p-books on Scribus that
apparently sell ok, The Manual, the Gemy book published by Packt
Publishing and the Gang Chen self-published book. The Gemy book
is useful but not IMO comprehensive enough and the Gang Chen book
I would not recommend at all.

I have all three. There are also some other language books I
don't have.

Here are their Amazon ranks (lower number is better)
Manual 318,199
Gemy 656,199
Chen 1,037,820

A book I offer that no longer sells has an Amazon rank of
2,705,060.  But I broke even on it. Consider this the lowest
possible ranking.  The Tavmong Bah book on Inkscape ranks
429,150.

So I believe that a comprehensive manual with current info would
sell well enough and make money if printed POD. Heck, the Fles
Manual still sells and it dates back to 1.3.3.12.

-- John Culleton Free list of books for self-publishers:
http://wexfordpress.net/shortlist.html Police Procedural and
Expose: "Death Wore Black" "Create Book Covers with Scribus"
http://www.booklocker.com/books/4055.html