[scribus] the docs license

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Apr 11 13:52:04 UTC 2012

On 04/11/2012 07:36 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:

> ... because there is a long history of people taking free scribus
> resources and making profit out of it....
>
> let's get real: there is almost no chance that somebody can make a
> huge profit from taking the manual, printing it and selling it.

If the docs are worth nothing, then why this ongoing argument about the
particulars of its licensing? There is nothing about the license which
forbids someone publishing it. We want them to ask, we want the actual
writers of it to be acknowledged. If someone is going to make money from
it, I think we have the right to ask for a contribution to the project.

If some company printed out parts or all of the manual for their own
use, there is nothing to prevent them from doing that.

The reason the various licenses exist is that there is a long history of
adults not playing nicely when it comes to business.

Greg